Irish Seafarers Working Offshore

Irish Seafarers

seafarers accounts

If you are an Irish individual who is working abroad in the Marine Industry, such as on a: –

  • Ferry
  • Drill Ship or Oil Rig
  • Cargo Ship
  • Cruise Ship

But not a fishing boat, you may qualify for the Seafarers’ Tax Break.  If you do not qualify as a Seafarer, you may actually qualify as being non-resident if you are outside Ireland for over 225 days per year.

Please take four minutes to complete our online Seafarers Questionnaire and we will come back to you with recommendations within 24 hours.


Irish Seafarers Working in the UK Sector

If you’re an Irish Seafarer being paid by a UK company, it’s likely that full UK PAYE is being deducted from your wages. Seafarers, however, can avail of certain deductions which mean you could be in line for a refund; in some circumstances the refund can be 100% of the UK tax paid. However, you may have to pay UK National Insurance, but because you pay it in the UK, you won’t pay PRSI in Ireland.

Click here for more on this subject




Seafarers Earning Deduction (SED)

In prior years, the Seafarers Earnings Deduction (SED) was only available to seafarers ordinarily resident in the UK. From 6 April 2011 however the SED became available to all residents of the EEA. As a result, if you meet the relevant conditions you could be eligible to claim a significant refund.


Non-Resident Mariner

If you don’t qualify for SED but you’re not resident in the UK, you may still be due a refund in respect of non-UK duties. You should note that duties undertaken in the UK sector of the North Sea are classified as being undertaken within the UK. As a result no relief is available for duties performed in the UK sector of the North Sea. To learn more about your tax entitlements, talk to us today.


Call 1 800 476 984 or email Kevin Barry with your questions or complete our online Seafarers Questionnaire.